Monday 27 June 2011

Kowloon Walled City Park

Originally a fort Kowloon Walled City park has seen many incarnations over the years. After the British takeover it was abandoned and squatters moved in. Later during WW2, the walls were torn down and used by the Japanese to enlarge the nearby airfield known as Kai Tak. After the war many Chinese refugees enter into Hong Kong and take up residence in the old fort. Before long it became one of the most notorious areas of Hong Kong. Dense with illegal structures, squalid conditions and crime ridden. In 1987 the British and Chinese cleared the area and resettled the occupants. It was then transformed into a park and garden. However it's past has not been forgotten....


A cast model of the slum is just inside the park. It shows just how dense and crowded everything was. It is unlikely that on a clear day, someone walking in the alley below would be able to see the sun. 



Behind the model is an artistic rendering of what life was like in the walled city. The pinky peach coloured parts represent people, the white etchings illustrate their homes and businesses. While it was a lawless area, many of the residents were just trying to live. Students would do their homework on the rooftops while down below brothels and gambling dens vied for business with restaurants and unlicensed dentists. 



The only building that still survives in the park is the Yamen, which was the administrative headquarters of the forts commander. In front of it are two cannon, which also survived the centuries. 



It is hard to believe that the park went from fort to slum......



To urban oasis......

I found the visit to the park to be a bit bitter sweet. It was a nice afternoon with a friend but I was very disappointed with my photos. The history was fascinating and I simply could not imagine living there during its most notorious phase, yet I couldn't help but wonder what happened to the occupants? Nothing tells their story. I for one, would like to know.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Terri! Love the images! As you know, I grew up in HKG and left there when I was 16. I had never been to the Walled City nor even seen photos of it. I knew that it is place one should avoid. Always thought there was a wall around it and never thought it was packed with very tall buildings. In one of my Xbox 360 game, there was a scene done ( on computer of course) with the main characters fighting there way out of the Walled City and that is when I had a first look of the inside! Keep the posting coming, I find them very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete