Saturday 17 December 2011

Parking & Wildfire....

  I am sorry I have been so quiet lately. As many of you know I have been dealing with a herniated disc in my neck for some time now. I admit it has been very frustrating. Mostly because I can't do many of the things I enjoy,  such as swimming and photography. My camera is just to heavy, even using my rapid strap, which slings it over my shoulders. My life has mostly been revolving around doctors and physiotherapy appointments, but it is helping and ever so slowly it is getting better! Also it has forced me to expand my photographic horizons into the world of iPhone photography.  

A couple of weeks ago Mr. Korat and I took the Kai To ferry over to Mui Wo, which is a small town on Lantau Island just over the mountains from us. I really love this little community. It is small but friendly, with great sprit. Unlike Discovery Bay it is not car free so many people own and drive cars, however it seems the preferred method of transport is the bicycle. Like DB, Mui Wo has a ferry service to Central, where most people work. This is the scene at the ferry terminal on a weekday afternoon...




This was also one of my first iPhone photography experiments, and what I missed shooting was the Gweilo guy, walking from the ferry and unlocking his bicycle in his business suit! 

These bikes are quite common around town. They allow people to ride with their kids and have a basket under the seat for their shopping. I once saw one go by with a kid in a car seat that was strapped to the bike! 



I have been asked about the wildlife that I see here and I can't say that I have ever seen very much. I have grown up with urban wildlife and while it can at times be a nuisance, I do miss it. Sure there are some very beautiful birds and butterflies and of course it is semi tropical so there are a lot of insects. There are also many snakes in Hong Kong, some poisonous, such as cobras, so one needs to be careful when hiking, but generally the wildlife keeps to itself and is rarely seen. There is one animal that is hard to miss and that is the Water buffalo and feral cattle. Water buffalo are indigenous to Lantau and live in small herds throughout the island. It is very common when taking a bus or taxi over the island to see one at the side of the road, however they are threatened by urbanization and the governments attempt to move them from populated areas. I am not sure what the story is on the feral cattle, but they are also seen in herds. Buffalo and cattle are not aggressive but they are large and if they become agitated they can be dangerous. Just this spring a man was gorged by a buffalo (he survived),  and when you see them it is best just to keep your distance and mind your business. Imagine our surprise when Mr. Korat and I turned a corner and came practically face to face with a herd of cattle! Most of them were happily munching away in someones garden, but this little calf was more interested in the tasty grass on the driveway of this little shop.



Here is a CNN article about Lantau's Buffalo and some of the issues surrounding them: What's up with the buffalo's on Lantau Island?

If you wish to learn more you can visit the Lantau Buffalo Association




No comments:

Post a Comment